Makes 6 servings
čŹů┬áMy great-grandmother used to make THE BEST stuffed peppers when I was a girl.
I can still taste them…they would take her hours and hours to make.
THIS version is a Tex-Mex spin on that traditional stuffed pepper, AND these only take about 35 minutes to prepare.
I’m excited for you to try this variation!
Makes 6 servings
- 6 large bell peppers, use colors of choice
- 1 lb. ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to your taste, about 1/4 tsp each
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 15 oz jar diced tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic corn
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, & thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees f.
- Cut the very tops off of each pepper, then remove the seeds.
- Arrange the peppers upright in an oven-safe dish as shown, then bake in your preheated oven for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saut├ę for 2-3 minutes, then add the turkey/chicken and cook until just browned.
- Sprinkle in garlic, cumin, chili powder, sea salt and pepper and cook for an additional minute or so while stirring.
- Add in the beans, corn, and diced tomatoes. Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the pre-baked peppers, and press the mixture firmly to get them all fully loaded.
- Sprinkle with cheese and return to the oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Top with avocado, and jalapeno slices. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
- For Food Prep/Prepping Ahead: Refrigerate in sealed glass containers for up to 3 days.