Made this soup tonight & everyone LOVED it!
You may use store bought pumpkin puree when in a hurry – BUT, roasting the pumpkin yourself will make the best tasting soup!
Alternately, you can exchange butternut squash for the pumpkin – roasting it the same way!
- 2 sugar pumpkins, or 2 1/2 cups all natural pumpkin puree
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups chicken, or vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 tsp each of: sea salt, black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut tops off pumpkins, then cut them in half.
- Scrape out all of the seeds and guts.
- Brush pumpkin flesh very lightly with avocado oil, or olive oil, and set face down on prepared sheet pan. Roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes, then peel off skin. Set aside.
- To a large saucepan over medium heat add 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil, onion, celery and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients while stirring, including the pumpkin, and bring to a nice simmer.
- Transfer soup mixture to a blender or use an immersion stick blender to puree the soup. Pour mixture back into pot.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Roasted pumpkin seeds, and/or a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, or coconut milk.