Black Bean Soup
When it’s cold outside I just want to nourish myself and my family with a delicious warm soup or stew! Black beans are my favorite legume, so try this the next chance you get!Makes about 6 servings:
- 3 (15-oz.) cans organic black beans, drained and rinsed, or about 5 cups soaked, and prepared black
- beans (prepare to package directions)
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced jalapeños
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin seed
- 1 qt. bone broth
- 1 jar 14-1/2 ounces diced tomatoes with green peppers, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- fresh lime wedges
Remove 1 cup black beans from the rest, and mash that 1 cup of beans, leaving the remaining beans whole, set aside.
Heat oil, in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onion, celery, and red pepper, then cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes.
Add jalapeños, garlic, and seasonings (chili powder, cumin) and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes more.
Add black beans including mashed beans, broth, tomatoes and bay leaf and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and let cook on low until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Taste and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt, sliced avocado, lime, and cilantro.