- 6 large bell peppers, different colors
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3-4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 lbs ground chicken or turkey
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste about 1/4 teaspoon each
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 14 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- 1 cup fresh or frozen organic corn
- 1 (15oz.) jar organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup cheddar Jack cheese, shredded.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees f.
- Carefully slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the ribs and seeds inside. Alternatively, you can use a sharp paring knife and cut zig zags all around the tops of your bell peppers.
- Carve a jack-o-lantern type face on the side of each bell pepper. Don’t make it too big or all the stuffing will fall out.
- Place your carved bell peppers into a baking dish, together with their tops. Lightly spray them with cooking oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the peppers just begin to soften.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in onion, garlic and the remaining chopped pieces of your bell peppers, then sauté for a few minutes.
- Stir in the meat and cook until browned, crumbling it with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Sprinkle in all seasonings, then stir in the rice, beans, corn and tomato sauce. Continue to simmer until the liquid has reduced, about 10 minutes. Stir well to combine then taste test and season with sea salt and pepper if desired.
- Carefully spoon stuffing into each pepper and top with shredded cheese.
- Return your baking dish to the preheated oven for an additional 10-12 minutes, or just until the cheese is all nice and melty.
© 2022 © Copyright CleanFoodCrush ® LLC 2014-2022 - Rachel Maser - CleanFoodCrush.com