Stuffed Bell Peppers are one of my all-time most comforting foods!
So perfect for a cold weekend! These take a bit longer to prep and bake than our typical CFC recipes…but the FLAVORS you’ll experience here is so worth it!
Bake a bunch for Dinner, or future meals as meal prep!
They reheat fantastic the next day! Makes 6 servings
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1, 15 ounce black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups COOKED brown rice, or quinoa
- 1, 4.5 ounce can/jar diced green chilies
- 1, 15 ounce jar diced tomatoes with juice, OR 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 Tbsps chopped fresh cilantro leaves, & more for garnish
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt to taste, about 1/4 tsp
- 1 cup frozen organic corn
- 6 large green bell peppers, tops cut off, then seeded
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, or stock
- 1/3 cup Colby / Jack cheese if desired
- chopped green onions, or cilantro leaves as garnish
- Greek yogurt for serving if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- In a large skillet brown your turkey and season with sea salt.
- Once turkey is browned, add in diced onion, garlic, black beans, cilantro, chilies, diced tomatoes, and cumin.
- Stir well, cover, and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Remove lid, add corn and cooked brown rice, simmer an additional 5 minutes or until all the liquid reduces.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise, removing seeds and stem.
- Place peppers cut side up in an oven-safe dish as shown. Fill each pepper equally with turkey mixture. Pour about 1/2 cup chicken broth on the very bottom of the dish.
- Cover dish tightly with foil. Bake about 55 minutes, or until your peppers soften.
- Remove foil, top each with 1 Tablespoon of cheese and bake uncovered an additional 5 minutes.
- Top with green onions and cilantro leaves, then serve immediately with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt (optional).
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days, OR freeze a batch up to 6 weeks. (They freeze great!) Enjoy,