Would YOU eat this as a snack or a quick meal?🌞👙
These are great in the Summertime because you can just throw the ingredients in a cooler and head up to the mountains or down to the beach and have a SUPER low-fuss meal so you can simply enjoy yourself! 💯
What’s my take on processed deli meats?
The studies are clear.
We should limit our consumption of deli meats due to many possible and/or proven health risks.
At my house, we consume deli meats about once a week or sometimes just several times per month.
They are part of our life because preparing EVERYTHING from scratch is simply not going to always happen for this momma, also: we do enjoy deli meat!
For the average BUSY family that requires quick staples such as deli meats to get them through the week without grabbing fast food, what do WE look for?!
Here’s my helpful list (and YES, it’s really hard to believe this much crap can be hidden and added into cold cuts!) If possible choose meats containing:
- No antibiotics.
- No nitrates: Sodium nitrate/sodium nitrite
- No BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole)
- No BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)
- No Smoked/naturally smoked/smoke flavor: Could contain unlisted toxic chemicals.
- No Corn syrup
- No Aspartame
Look for humanely raised, pasture-raised meats if possible. Look for lower sodium.
Good luck shopping! And just so you know, I personally believe that we don’t need to obsess or be ULTRA ridged with our healthy lifestyle…
I believe that it’s great to be educated, but even better not to stress over every little thing!
makes 5 servings
- 10 chicken, turkey, or roast beef sliced deli meat
- 5 thin slices cheese
- 1/4 cup homemade Tzatziki sauce recipe here.
- 1 cup shredded lettuce of choice
- 1/4 cup sliced olives of choice
- 1-2 crisp bell peppers, mixed colors
- 5 slices of cooked nitrate-free bacon (optional)
Lay 2 slices of deli meat onto your cutting board, then top with one slice of cheese, one Tablespoon of Tzatziki, a sprinkle of lettuce, olives, pepper slices, and bacon. Roll the “sandwich” up as shown. Serve immediately or place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 48 hours.