Grilled Chicken Zoodle Bowls with Tomato-Basil Sauce
Ultra juicy, perfectly seasoned chicken thighs, nestled on top of a bed of crisp zucchini noodles with a garlicky fresh tasting tomato basil sauce that is absolutely lick-your-bowl-clean DELICIOUS!
Be sure to use YOUR favorite marinara sauce or tomato sauce, because that’s where this dish gets a lot of its flavor!
When shopping for store-bought sauce I like to make sure the marinara has no added sugar (tomatoes naturally contain sugar, but there shouldn’t be sugar on the ingredients list).Store-bought jarred marinara sauce, or tomato sauce should only contain just a few simple ingredients such as tomatoes, garlic and herbs.
➡️Did you know:
Zucchini has quite an impressive nutritional scoreboard – from high levels of potassium, B-vitamins, dietary fiber, and antioxidants, all which offer huge benefits to our overall health.
It’s shown that eating zucchini regularly in place of processed carbohydrates (such as pasta) can even help regulate our blood sugar levels, which can greatly benefit diabetics.
Eating zucchini several times per week can help us with our weight loss goals.
Zucchini is extremely low in calories, but gives us the feeling of being full. Therefore, it is a great way to satisfy our appetites without grabbing lots of empty calories or carbs.
For grilled chicken:
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, most fat trimmed
- 2 Tbsps olive oil, or avocado oil
- 2 Tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried basil leaves
For the tomato-basil sauce:
- 1 cup tomato sauce, or simple marinara
- 3 or 4 large, fresh garden tomatoes, diced
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsps parmesan cheese, finely grated
- a good handful of fresh basil leaves picked from stem and chopped fine
To assemble your bowls:
- 4 medium, fresh zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- additional parmesan cheese, if desired