A WARM – filling Winter Breakfast idea!
Makes 6 servings
- 2 lbs apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Additional zest from one orange
- 4 packets stevia extract (or other sweetener of choice)
For the crisp topping:
- 2 Tbsps coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 Tbsps maple syrup
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup almond flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix the apple pieces, cranberries, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange zest and stevia.
- Stir to combine, then pour all the fruit filling into an oven proof dish covered with a lid and cook in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. DonÔÇÖt overcook it as we still want the fruit to be a bit crunchy in texture.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble, in a separate bowl. Stir in the oats, sunflower seeds, pecans, almond flakes, maple syrup and coconut oil. Using your hands, mix well to get all combined and coated evenly.
- Place the crisp mix on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, when the fruit mix is bubbly, take it from the oven, and cover it with the crispy oatmeal and nuts mixture.
- Return it to the oven for 5 minutes more.