Harvest Minestrone w/ Kale
This is REALLY GREAT soup!
Beautiful colors, nutritionally packed, warm & hearty for cold nights.
- 1 onion – diced
- 2 celery stalks – diced
- 3 carrots – diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 2 cups fresh zucchini – diced
- 2 cups green beans-cut 1 inch
- 1 bell pepper – medium diced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 28-ounce cans of water (refill your empty can, twice)
- 1 15-ounce can rinsed cannellini beans
- 1 15-ounce can rinsed chickpeas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups kale – stems removed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (or to taste)
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with parmesan to taste
- Garnish with fresh basil or finely chopped rosemary
Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the olive oil, onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute or until garlic begins to color.
Add the zucchini, bell pepper, and the green beans, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.
Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes. *Add more liquid if desired.
Remove the lid, add the kale and the canned beans, bring back to a gentle boil and cook for another 5 minutes or just until the kale is tender.
Grate in the parmesan, add fresh basil and serve (or do this for individual servings.)
Photo credit: Rachel McDaniel