Celebrating Taco Tuesday, Clean Eating style ðŸŽ‰
- 3 large red bell pepper
- 1 lb. lean, ground turkey
- 1/2 tbsp. avocado, or coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 12 oz glass jar of salsa (homemade OR, store bought. Look for minimal ingredients, and low sugar count)
- *Optional add-ins:
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1 cup organic frozen corn
- 1 cup black beans (rinse if canned)
- 1 cup brown rice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped green onions, and lime wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
- Slice peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds.
- I place them in a large pot of boiling water for 3 minutes, then drain very well. Just to make them easier for kids to eat.
- Place peppers, evenly in a glass baking dish. Set aside.
- SautÃ© onions with the oil for 2-3 minutes, then add the turkey in a skillet and cook until just browned.
- Add the seasoning, and corn (if using) and continue cooking until the meat is just cooked.
- Drain. Add salsa. Stir.
In a large mixing bowl combine:
- Your precooked turkey
- All remaining ingredients
- 2 Tbsp chopped green onions
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1-2 fresh squeezed limes
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients, scoop tightly into peppers.
Bake at 350 for about 15-20 until heated through.