Yessss! This was soooo good, different, and felt pretty darn SIMPLE tonight! Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 lb. ground turkey, or grass-fed beef
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced ⅛” thick (I used a mandolin)
- Fresh parsley, or basil chopped, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 f.
- Place the zucchini slices on a sheet tray and roast for about 12 minutes to get them soft and easy to roll.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once hot, add onion and cook until tender, for 4-5 minutes.
- Add jalapeño, cumin and garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Add meat and cook for about 10 minutes, until it starts to get golden. Stir in the cooked rice, season with sea salt, then set aside.
- Spread a thin layer of crushed tomatoes into the bottom of a 9″-x-13” baking dish. Top each slice of zucchini with a spoonful of cooked turkey mixture, then roll up and place seam side down in baking dish. Repeat to fill the dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes more, then garnish with parsley, parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Try this out…let me know what you think!