Chicken + Corn Chowder
Our family has been in “comfort food mode” for several weeks now. Pretty much everything made from scratch, but we’ve really been enjoying warm, creamy, and hearty meals like this one on the regular!
This soup is wonderful with any chicken pieces you may have on hand, I used a combo of breasts and thighs.
Any type of milk works great here too…I really enjoy the unsweetened coconut milk for this, but cow’s milk totally works too!
As with all soup, it tastes even better the next day, so double or triple your batch while you’re at it and your future self will thank you!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs (I used both)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 2 celery ribs, diced small
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and small diced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen organic corn
- 3 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- 2 Tbsps gluten-free flour, or Arrowroot powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk, almond milk, or cashew milk
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste, about 1/4 teaspoon each
- a small bunch of chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes, or to taste
Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat.
Add chicken and cook for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Remove and once ready to handle chop or shred it into small bite-size pieces.
Into that same heated pot, add in onion, celery, carrots and garlic; Sauté for about 4-5 minutes.
Stir in potatoes, corn, and chopped chicken. Pour in your broth and stir to combine. Bring everything to a brisk boil.
Meanwhile, in a small cup, whisk your flour and milk together until there are no clumps.
Turn heat down to LOW.
Slowly pour your milk mixture into the soup and stir until well combined.Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.Cover and cook on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender and soup is thick and creamy.
Once your soup is ready, serve garnished with chopped chives and chili flakes.