A lot of work has gone into perfecting this Chocolate Cake recipe for awhile, and I finally think it is perfect!????
I’m planning to make TWO of these cakes with my children for the upcoming Fathers Day celebration.
One for my soon-to-be husband, AND another one for my ex-husband, the father of our 4 children together.
Dad’s and their children LOVE LOVE chocolate cake, so it’s great to have a good recipe full of nutritious ingredients, without the typical white sugar to be able to make for them once in awhile.
Use 6-inch pans for a smaller cake, which is a perfect size.
P.S. Don’t leave out the zucchini…it makes the cake so moist! AND leave the zucchini peel ON for this recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup raw unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup fresh zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbsps raw honey
- 3 Tbsps pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Spray two 6 inch cake pans with coconut spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. salt Whisk dry ingredients together well.
- In another bowl, combine shredded zucchini, almond milk, honey, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined, don’t over mix.
- Divide batter between the two 6 inch pans. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, carefully remove from pans and cool cakes completely on wire rack.
- 1 1/2 cups high-quality dark chocolate chips (I like Lily’s brand made with stevia Cleanfoodcrush.com/lilys )
- 3/4 cups coconut cream (open can and skim off the top cream for this use, throw the rest in a smoothie later!)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate chips and coconut cream together, mixing well until combined.
- Remove from heat, and immediately add 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract into your frosting mixing well.
- Allow frosting to sit on the counter for an hour or two until cool and thick.
- Gently frost your cake and enjoy!