Hearty Italian Sausage Soup
It’s soup season! We LOVE soup at our house!
It’s warming, filling, and ready-to-eat wherever you are!
I ALWAYS double my soup recipes because soup makes wonderful future meals!
This is one of our all-time FAVES! I love the high protein + veggie combo here! Hope you love it too!
Makes about 6 servings
- 1.5 lbs. ground chicken or turkey, cooked & crumbled (sometimes I use 1 pound ground turkey PLUS a 1/2 pound of
- Italian OR Spicy sausage for more FLAVOR)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (1/4-1/2 teaspoon each)
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- 2 small cloves fresh garlic
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 medium fresh zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium russet or red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 7-8 cups low-sodium chicken, turkey, beef or homemade bone broth
- a handful of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
First, brown ground meat with your diced onions, and minced garlic, then drain grease and season with Italian seasonings, sea salt, and pepper to taste. Remove from the heat, then choose your soups cooking method below:
Place all the ingredients into your slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours. I really think cooking on LOW for a longer time makes for a more flavorful soup.
This can also be cooked on the stovetop in a large stockpot. Simply follow the directions above for browning the meat, then add everything to a large pot, allow to come to a good boil then, reduce heat to low and simmer on low for 30-40 minutes covered, stirring occasionally.
To cook in the instant pot, simply follow the directions above for browning the meat, then add everything into your instant pot, seal, and press the soup button. Cook for 30 minutes. I let it sit at warming for 15 minutes after.
Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and desired garnishes, then enjoy!