THESE are such a hit with the kids! Let me know if you try! 🙌Makes 4 servings
- 1 lb. ground beef, grass fed if possible
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 8oz can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste.
- 1½ Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared dijon mustard
- ½ tsp minced fresh garlic
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup water
- russet, or sweet potatoes (one per person, washed and dry, pierced a few times with fork)
Bake the potatoes:
- You can bake potatoes directly on the oven rack, or you can place them a few inches apart on a foil -lined baking sheet. Bake potatoes at 350 for 50-60 minutes.
- Flip every 20 minutes or so and check for doneness by piercing with a fork.
- Brown the ground beef in a large pan over medium/high heat while breaking up the pieces – add the onion, and celery during cooking time.
- Drain excess grease. Reduce heat to medium and add the green pepper, vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, dried parsley, and salt. Combine well.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, bring ⅔ cup water to a boil and add the dates.
- Boil for a couple of minutes, just long enough to significantly soften the dates.
- Place the dates into a food processor or blender, then add tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
- Blend well then add to the beef mixture – stir to warm.
- Serve sloppy joe mixture on top of baked potato and garnish with green onions.