Hearty Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup
All the flavors of our favorite stuffed bell peppers…but faster!
Stuffed bell peppers can take a few hours to make and bake, this soup can be on the table in about 35 minutes! Perfect wintertime weeknight dinner idea!
I doubled the recipe to make LOTS for future lunches this week!
Makes about 8 servings
- 1.5 lbs. lean ground beef or turkey meat
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil, or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2-3 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 (14.5 oz) jar organic diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 oz) jar organic tomato sauce
- 4 cups broth (I use chicken or beef…use your fave)
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (about 1/4 tsp each)
- 2 cups COOKED brown rice
- a small bunch of fresh parsley leaves chopped, to garnish
Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven, over medium heat.
Add ground meat and cook, stirring while breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned.
Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and spices (dried basil, oregano, and smoked paprika) and sauté for another 3 minutes, then season with sea salt and pepper.
Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until flavors blend.
Stir in cooked brown rice, garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve warm.
NOTE: If planning this recipe for meal prep, keep the cooked rice and soup into separate containers and only combine them before serving. Refrigerate for up to 5 days!