Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats
We have SO much fresh zucchini right now, and THIS is just about my favorite way to eat it up!
Tag me in your zucchini recipes this harvest season…I wanna see what you’re up to!Makes about 6 servings
- 4 medium zucchini, sliced into halves lengthwise as shown
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil, or olive oil, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey meat
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 2 tsps ground cumin
- 1/2 cup organic tomato sauce
- 1 cup prepared drained and rinsed black beans
- 1/2 cup frozen organic corn
- one handful of fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2-3 green onions, finely sliced
- lime wedges, to serve
Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.
Using a spoon, scoop center seeds and such out from zucchini, leaving a little over the 1/4-inch rim to create the boats.
Place zucchini in one large baking dish, or two separate smaller baking dishes, brush with 1 Tablespoon of your cooking oil and season with sea salt and pepper.
Roast in your preheated oven until crisp-tender, about 17 minutes.Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in the onions and saute for 1 minute. Add ground turkey, garlic, chili powder, cumin, sea salt and pepper, and cook, tossing and breaking up the meat as you go with a wooden spoon.
Stir in tomato sauce, black beans and corn, and cook until meat is cooked through about 5-7 minutes.
Remove zucchini from oven once roasted, let cool for just a minute, then lightly pat dry the moisture inside your boats with a paper towel. This helps so much!
Stuff the pre-roasted zucchini with your taco mixture, sprinkle with cheese then return to the hot oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 7-8 minutes longer. Remove from the oven, and top with cherry tomatoes, green onions and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.These will be a BIG hit at dinner time!