Chili Sweet Potato Fries
Taco Tuesday CFC Style
OR THE PERFECT Weekend Indulgence!
OR, well…just eat these anytime you want because they’re an explosion of flavors in your mouth, and no reason required!
Not your average “health food” because CRUSHers aren’t average.
My teenagers (all 6 of them) LOVE THIS MEAL.
If you have someone difficult to please in your life, or who refuses to eat your “health food” then make these, and say NOTHING about the fact that yams and sweet potatoes are nutrient powerhouses!
Just make the loaded chili fries, wait until they’re licking the plate…and smile…smugly if you must…winning!
Makes about 4 servings
- 4 large sweet potatoes, or yams
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsps olive or avocado oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb. lean grass-fed ground beef, or turkey
- 1 white/yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup frozen organic corn, thawed or fresh 1 head of corn shred from its cob
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 (15 oz. jar) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 15 oz. black beans, drained and rinsed if using canned
- sea salt to taste
- sliced avocado, halved cherry tomatoes, organic sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, fresh chopped parsley or cilantro, lime wedges, etc.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees f. and line a large baking sheet (or two) with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
Cut the sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch fries, evenly as shown and place them into a large bowl.
Sprinkle fries with pepper and garlic powder, then drizzle with oil. Toss well to get all of your fries nicely coated.
Arrange in a single layer, with some space in between (so they can crisp up), on the baking sheets and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, flipping once during roasting time.
Meanwhile, heat a large (lidded) skillet over medium heat then add in your beef, onions, and garlic.
Cook, stirring frequently for about 6-7 minutes, or until meat starts to brown while breaking up the meat.
Add in seasonings, chipotle peppers, corn, black beans, and diced tomatoes then gently stir to combine.
Reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to develop and chili to thicken.
Taste test, and add a sprinkle of sea salt if desired. Sprinkle fries with sea salt when they come out of the oven.
Serve the sweet potato fries topped with your beef chili and any extra toppings of your choice…serving suggestion shown in the pictures!
I divided up the fries between 4 separate plates then let the kids top their own.