Jump to recipe
Clean Eating Crockpot Mexican Chicken Bowls for Meal Prep!
The weather has definitely shifted here in SLC. It’s windy, rainy, and pretty darn cold every day now. It’s even begun snowing overnight in the mountains!
Time to get those Crockpots out!
This Crockpot Mexican Chicken Bowl recipe couldn’t be simpler! On top of simplicity it’s SUPER SATISFYING too!
You can really add or subtract any ingredients to your personal preference…
allow everyone to top their own bowls at dinnertime, OR divide these up into food prep containers for your work-week lunches.
Makes about 5 servings
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large lime, juiced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste (I used 1/4 teaspoon of each)
- 15 oz jar crushed tomatoes with juice
- 15 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1.5 cups frozen, organic corn
- 1 cup chicken bone broth
- 4 oz diced green chiles
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- a small bunch of chopped cilantro leaves, to garnish
- 2 ripe avocados, diced to garnish
- 2-3 jalapenos, sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- shredded cheese
- plain Greek yogurt
Add all the ingredients except for the toppings to the bowl of your crockpot.
Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-6 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred it using forks, or a KitchenAid mixer.
Return chicken to the slow cooker, gently stir everything together and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
Divide the Mexican chicken among 4-5 bowls and top with diced avocado, jalapenos, green onions, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt and lots of cilantro.