- 1 large (3 lbs.) cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened cashew or almond milk
- 4 slices nitrate free bacon, chopped and cooked (optional)
- 2 Tbsps ghee
- 2 Tbsps gluten free flour, or Arrowroot starch
- 1 large finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsps chopped fresh parsley leaves
- olive oil, or avocado oil cooking spray
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees f. and spray an 8x10-inch oven-safe serving dish.
- Fill a large pot with about 2 inches of salted water. Set up your steamer basket and add in the cauliflower florets. Place the lid on and steam for about 5-7 minutes, or just until the cauliflower is tender but still has a crunch. Check with a fork! Then drain all water, and set aside.
- Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and melt your ghee.
- Add in onions and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and flour, stirring constantly cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually pour in your milk, add nutmeg, sea salt and pepper to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon or so of each). Cook stirring constantly to dissolve all lumps, until mixture starts to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup cheddar and all parmesan cheese, continue stirring until completely melted.
- Ladle about 1/3 of this cheese sauce into the baking dish as shown in the video.
- Layer in your steamed (completely drained of moisture by now) cauliflower and sprinkle bacon on top.
- Spoon over the remaining cheese sauce, and spread as evenly as you can.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese and bake, uncovered for about 15 minutes in your preheated oven.
- For extra golden topping, broil during the final 2-3 minutes of baking time.
- Allow to cool for several minutes, garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
© 2021 © Copyright CleanFoodCrush ® LLC 2014-2021 - Rachel Maser - CleanFoodCrush.com