Hearty Meatball + Veggie Soup
I make soup at least once a week; it’s quick, easy and my family loves it.
It’s especially great to keep on the stovetop when we have different family members (teenagers) rolling in at different times in the evening after their activities.
I typically double or triple the batch so that we have future meals. Soup is ALWAYS better the next day! We have two kids in after school drivers ED this term (yikes! FOUR teenage drivers for us now!) on top of all our usual after-school activities, prom, birthdays, sports, homework, and friends.
With full-time working parents + 6 kids at home, I am ALL about the FAST and easy dinner ideas during the week…after a long day, the very last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen!
This meatball soup made with grass-fed ground beef or ground turkey is a simple one-pot meal that’s got it all: veggies, plenty of meat and bone broth for protein and LOTS of flavors. And best of all, kids adore it thanks to the meatballs!
P.S. You CAN substitute the almond flour for panko bread crumbs if you like.
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium/large zucchinis, chopped
- 6 cups homemade or low sodium bone broth (vegetable broth, chicken, or beef broth)
- 1 (15 oz.) jar diced tomatoes with juices
- a small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
For the meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground grass-fed beef, ground turkey, or chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour, OR panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to your taste (about 1/4 teaspoon each)