Italian Baked Meatballs
The PERFECT weekend comfort food!
Use YOUR favorite marinara sauce, because that’s where this dish gets a lot of its flavor!
When shopping for store-bought sauce:
I like to make sure the marinara has no added sugar (tomatoes naturally contain sugar, but there shouldn’t be sugar on the ingredients list.
Marinara sauce should only contain just a few simple ingredients such as tomatoes, garlic, and herbs.
Serve these meatballs on top of zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash to balance out your meal.Makes 6 servings
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup oat flour (rolled oats ground, pulsed or blended into flour)
- 1/4 cup ground Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste (about a 1/8 teaspoon each)
- avocado oil spray, for baking
- 2 (15 oz.) jars marinara sauce (look for low sugar and minimal REAL ingredients)
- 2 Tbsps freshly chopped parsley
- one handful of fresh basil
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees f. In a large bowl, combine ground beef with garlic, spices, eggs, oat flour, and Parmesan cheese.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper then thoroughly combine until well incorporated. I usually get my hands in there to get everything combined really well.Take a large spoonful of mixture and roll it between your palms to form a meatball. Place into a 9×12 baking dish. Repeat with your remaining meat mixture.
Very lightly spray the meatballs with avocado oil and bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes.Remove your meatballs from the oven, then pour the marinara sauce on top.
Reduce your oven temperature to 350 degrees f. then continue to bake the meatballs, uncovered, until cooked through and tender, about 30 minutes more.Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese, freshly chopped basil and parsley.