Savory Turkey + Chickpea Skillet
#MealPrepWin If you’re looking for fresh flavor, and an excellent meal for prepping ahead – this is it! The flavors develop, and only become better each day!Makes 4-5 servings
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tsp avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 organic carrots, peeled, and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups bone broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, with juice (jar or fresh)
- 15 ounces chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the ground turkey to the pan and cook for 4 minutes, stirring and crumbling with a wooden spoon.
Then add in the onion, carrot and red bell pepper sautéing for a couple minutes.
Stir in the spices, salt and pepper and continue to sauté until the veggies soften and the turkey is cooked through.
Stir in the tomatoes, broth, chickpeas and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh herbs of choice.
Serve as is or with cooked quinoa, or brown rice.