One-Pot Mexican Beans and Quinoa
The ULTIMATE delicious side-dish! Pair it with these One Tray Chicken Fajitas for a complete meal.
- 2 Tbsps avocado oil, or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- one 14.5 oz. can Diced Tomatoes (no added salt)
- one 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh
- 1½ cups vegetable stock or water
- juice of 1 large fresh lime
- ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Extra cilantro and lime wedges, avocado, or cheese for serving, optional
Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, sweet potato and sauté until the onion is softened, for about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, bell pepper, spices and cook stirring continuously for 1 minute.
Add quinoa, diced tomatoes (fresh and canned), black beans, corn and vegetable stock and stir to combine.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover with a tight lid and cook for 20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid.
Add the lime juice, cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with the extra cilantro, lime, and avocado.