Jump to recipe
Spicy Mexican Chicken + Quinoa
Homemade weeknight skillet Tex-Mex with AMAZING FLAVOR + enough for the whole crowd!Makes about 6 servings:
- 1.5 cups quinoa (dry)
- 15 oz can of kidney, or black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 3 (1.5 lbs.) chicken breasts, skin on, cut in half
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 avocado, cut into wedges
- 2 green onions, sliced
Spicy Tomato Sauce:
- 1.5 cups of organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, or avocado oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
Place a medium saucepan over a medium high heat and add in the oil, garlic, and bell pepper.
Sauté for a few minutes to soften.
Add the tomato sauce, water, chili powder, cumin, paprika, vinegar, honey and cayenne pepper and whisk together thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 20 mins.
Heat a large frying pan over a medium high with a tiny spray of oil and add the chicken breasts, fry each side just for a couple of minutes until lightly browned.
Add the spicy tomato sauce from the saucepan imto the sauté pan with the chicken and cook a few more minutes.
Gently mix in the quinoa and beans.
Cover and cook on low heat for an additional 15 min, or until the chicken is cooked through and the quinoa is fluffy and has absorbed all the sauce.
Top with avocado and sliced green onion.