Turkey Breakfast Meal Prep
Today I’m sharing a simple meal prep idea that I made over the weekend.
Opened up the fridge to see ground turkey and a few veggies that really needed to be used up soon, so I decided to turn those ingredients into meal prep for the week.
The final result is quite flavorful thanks to the seasonings, and I LOVE that these are protein & veggie-packed. Starting the day with protein and veggies helps me to feel more satisfied and energetic throughout my busy mornings.
Did you know that 90% of us don’t get enough vegetables most days?
90%! Pretty shocking, right?
According to the USDA, most of us need between 2 and 4 cups a day.
But the truth is, veggies usually end up as an afterthought in a side dish.
This is why sneaking veggies into your meals (including BREAKFAST) is such a great idea! It’s a pain-free way to get more of them into your diet.
I know this tip might fall into the category “I know this but I don’t do it very often.”
Consider this your reminder that it’s time to START!
I have a few ideas to get you going.
6 Easy Ways to Add Veggies to Your Breakfast
1. Stir zucchini, spinach, asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, or any other leafy greens into your eggs – think: veggie omelets, scrambles, quiche/casseroles.
2. Shred zucchini or carrots into overnight oats or chia pudding – or stir them into your oats while they cook (surprisingly super yum!)
3. Make a big batch of veggie hash (basically saute a bunch of veggies together) ahead of time, and when it’s time to eat, heat it up and add an egg on top.
4. Add frozen cauliflower, frozen beets, frozen kale, or frozen spinach to your smoothies.
5. Top your avocado toast and egg scrambles with freshly snipped herbs and micro greens (yes, fresh herbs & micro greens count!).
6. Make a grain bowl with leftover quinoa or rice and stir in some chopped spinach and feta or goat cheese while you heat it up. This will keep you feeling full for hours!
🌱 Your assignment:
Sneak some veggies into your breakfast a couple of days this week.
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 large red bell peppers, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1-2 cloves fresh minced garlic
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
To assemble your bowls:
- 4 large hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- a small handful of fresh parsley or cilantro
Heat your oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for 3 minutes.
Stir in your diced bell peppers and zucchini then cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes more. Set veggies aside on a plate.
In that same skillet add in your minced garlic and cook for 1 minute, just until fragrant. Add in the ground turkey and cook while mincing the meat with a wooden spoon until cooked through.
Stir in all of the seasonings and return your sautéed veggies to the skillet and stir everything together.
Remove from heat and allow it to cool completely for meal prep.
Divide equally among meal prep containers then add a hard-boiled egg in each if desired.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese and freshly chopped parsley or cilantro.
Keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.