Jump to recipe
Sushi Roll in a Bowl
Here’s a FUN meal idea for you to try out this week!
We’re receiving many questions about what to make during the HOT Summer months when you don’t want to turn on the oven. I think these bowls are PERFECT for summertime since you can use leftover ingredients and skip heating up your kitchen in order to make something delicious.
Sushi Roll Bowls to the rescue!💡
And YES, we eat them cold, just like sushi.
I had some cold leftover cooked salmon from dinner the night before that worked perfectly for these bowls! If you don’t have leftover fish, canned salmon, or tuna work great too! I think cooked crab meat or shrimp would also be divine!
As far as the toppings, use my suggestions OR make these bowls your own way using whatever you have on hand!
To make the sushi rice:
- 1 cup short grain brown rice, or sushi rice
- 2 Tbsps white wine vinegar, or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsps raw honey or pure maple syrup
To make the bowls:
- 16 oz cooked salmon, shrimp, crab meat, or tuna
- 2 Persian cucumbers, Julienned
- 2 large carrots, Julienned
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 nori (seaweed) sheets, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsps coconut aminos, tamari, low sodium soy sauce, or Braggs liquid aminos
Rinse your rice well before cooking using a fine mesh sieve. Follow package instructions for cooking which vary depending on the variety of rice you’re cooking. I add a big pinch (or two) of sea salt to the boiling water.
Alternatively, you can cook your rice in a rice cooker following the manufacturer’s directions.
As soon as the rice is done and just tender, stir and fluff well (with a wooden spoon) then add in the vinegar and honey. Stir. Allow it to cool.
To assemble your bowls, divide the cooked rice equally among 4 serving bowls or meal prep containers.
Top equally with fish, cucumber, carrot, avocado, nori, and scallions, then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Just before serving, drizzle with coconut aminos as desired.
These bowls stay good in the fridge in sealed containers for about 2 days.