Jump to recipe..
Taco-Style Cabbage Skillet
If you’re a cabbage lover (like me!) then you’ve gotta get this on your family’s menu asap! The flavors are ultra-satisfying and left me feeling GOOD after eating thanks to the simple ingredients.
We adore One Pan meals! ❤ What about you?!😍
Easy to make & easy to clean up! Perfect for meal prep or a weeknight dinner idea!
One of my personal goals is to get in MORE daily vegetables (especially cruciferous like cabbage). Yours too?!
In true CFC style, we’re going to accomplish this in the TASTIEST way possible! I absolutely crave this quick skillet meal. Lots of familiar taco flavors along with some cheese to make it tasty – but the bulk is lean protein + cabbage, so it’s super satisfying while helping me stick to my personal goals!
🌱Cabbage is a very underrated vegetable in my opinion.
In terms of price per cup, a report by the Department of Agriculture has shown cabbage to be the second most economical cooked vegetable in terms of price per edible cup. Yes! Grab you some.
Many people don’t know what a powerhouse cabbage really is. I’ve been eating it on the regular for the past several years… in soups, roasted, and salads like this.
What’s really in those seasoning packets?!👀
I love to mix up my own seasonings with organic spices because those little packets of taco seasoning are usually made with canola and soybean oils linked to inflammation, sugar, anti-caking agents, and natural flavors. Not to mention making my own taco seasonings actually tastes better too!
➡️ BEST Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
You’ll never purchase those store-bought packets again, after making it yourself!!
So simple, delicious, and lasts for several months – so double or triple this recipe and keep it handy in a small glass container near your stove.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsps chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 tsps ground cumin
- 2 tsps sea salt
- 2 tsps ground black pepper
Taco Seasoning Instructions:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients until combined well.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To use your homemade spice mix in recipes, start with a smaller sprinkle – taste test to decide the amount of spice for your family’s taste. Usually, 1-2 Tablespoons per pound of ground meat is perfect.
Instead of buying pre-shredded cheese, I like to find a block of grass-fed cheese ON SALE and shred it myself….or better yet enlist one of the kids for this duty.
Many pre-shredded varieties are coated in very strange things (anti-caking & clumping garbage) that actually interfere with the natural texture and melting quality.
🍅Be sure to use good quality diced or crushed tomatoes, because that’s where this dish gets its flavor.
- 2 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey, bison, or lean ground beef
- 1 small head of green cabbage, chopped
- 1 x 15oz jar diced or crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 Tbsps homemade taco seasoning
- sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup freshly shredded cheddar cheese
- red onion or pickled red onion, diced avocado, fresh lime wedges, corn chips, cilantro, sliced jalapeno, etc.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in the meat and cook, mincing with a wooden spoon.
Once the meat is no longer pink, add in the diced tomatoes with their juice, all seasonings, and chopped cabbage.
Stir well to combine. Partially cover and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for around 20-25 minutes, or until the cabbage is tender to your liking.
Sprinkle with freshly grated cheese while hot then add toppings of choice.